What's new

adding a 3rd IBA/friction

Eric H

Reaction score
If someone were to add a Friction machine to a site that already had 2 touchless units that were washing 25,000 CPY combined what would the 3rd friction machine wash?

soapy

Reaction score
Very tough question. Most people might say 12,500 or the same as each auto you now have. A friction would no doubt take some of your touchless customers. My opinion would be you would gain between 6 to 8,000 more cars per year.

mac

Reaction score
We have a distributor who had four PDQ touchless units. He replaced one with an Istobal friction. That bay's revenue went up about 40% and his wash cost went down about the same. He proceeded to replace two more PDQ machines and his numbers increased about the same, as his cost per wash went way down. That being said, your location is a big unknown, If you do this, go with a good friction.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
We have a distributor who had four PDQ touchless units. He replaced one with an Istobal friction. That bay's revenue went up about 40% and his wash cost went down about the same. He proceeded to replace two more PDQ machines and his numbers increased about the same, as his cost per wash went way down. That being said, your location is a big unknown, If you do this, go with a good friction.
Mac I would like to get a friction myself is Istobal ever going to come up with a wall mounted system vs a gantry system. My wife told me the other day that it looks too old school & intimidating. I like my local istobal distributor super nice guy but we like a friction that’s a open concept. Talk to me some on gantry.

soonermajic

Reaction score
If someone were to add a Friction machine to a site that already had 2 touchless units that were washing 25,000 CPY combined what would the 3rd friction machine wash?
I think you'd do 8,973 cpy in the friction bay

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
Have not heard if Istobal may do a wall mount, but I kind of doubt it. People's perception of machines is something that's hard to design around. I have started saying when people ask what I do, is that I sell robotic machines, which is really what most automatics are. We just installed a new Flex5 and it really is 21st century technology.

BBE

Reaction score
If you're location can support and has the demand for three IBAs why not look at converting site to EE?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Some sites simply do not support an EE layout. They are actually 2 very different operations. One of the most significant is that an automatic can operate 24/7 with almost no attendant. Not so with an EE.

soonermajic

Reaction score
If you're location can support and has the demand for three IBAs why not look at converting site to EE?
Because 30% of his biz is when EE is closed + he can easily add a friction but not a tunnel

BBE

Reaction score
Because 30% of his biz is when EE is closed + he can easily add a friction but not a tunnel
I hear ya, I operate both. In my experience the revenue potential is certainly higher with an EE than IBA's. Some sites can't support the layout as mentioned, others just prefer the 24/7 no employee operation of IBA's, but as an owner/operator of both, if I had a site that was doing enough volume to justify a third IBA, I would at least look at it.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Makes total sense to me. Sometimes guys just want IBAs, & not hassle with a bunch of employees.