What's new

A sad loss ... and how Life goes on

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
It is with the most profound sadness that I share this information:

Tom Coutre, my very good buddy and great friend of the self serve carwash community, died on Monday, 11/21/16. The only sliver of light is knowing that he is now reunited with the great love of his life Kim who passed 2 years ago.

Tom was one helluvva guy! To know him was not necessarily "to love him". But it sure was to RESPECT him —
Incredibly intelligent. Tough as nails, but not afraid to tear up. Awarded Bronze Star in VietNam. Exemplary carwash owner/operator. Devoted husband and father. A man of Faith. And rock ribbed, patriotic lover of his country.

I'm a better man for having Tom as a friend. I wish I could have been as good as he. Speaking of "good guys" ...

Life does go on.

I should have let the carwash community know something a couple years ago. Namely, Joe Campbell, the man who created the SSCWN and "fathered" me into the self serve carwash community, had moved to Louisiana with his daughter Chase. Joe is into his 90's and battling several tough health issues, but he's sure "one helluvva tough guy" too! He had his fill of the La La, Lib Left Coast, and sought out a more rational, sustainable life somewhere in "fly over country". Shreveport was the winner.

I'm not sure what Joe's middle name is. It could very well be "Moxie" --- he definitely has plenty! Having flown combat bombing missions in 3 wars (WWII, Korea, Nam) speaks to that. And in the face of unrelenting "flak" (attacks from the media and political establishment), Joe was an ardent Trump supporter. Add to that flak, my oh so "reasoned, informed, detailed, vigorous" emailed explanations as to why it was freakin' impossible, IMPOSSIBLE for The Donald to win this or any POTUS election. My baseball cap is off to Joe and the rest of "fly over country" for making the impossible happen … and teaching me to suspect what I "know".

God Bless America and all those who have served it so well, so long.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
I should add that there will be a memorial service for Tom this Saturday morning (12/3/16) at the Simkins Funeral Home in Morton Grove, Illinois. Anyone wishing to express condolences can do so at www.simkinsfh.com