What's new

A good read

mac

Reaction score
If you enjoy books on adventure get a copy of Endurance. It is the story of the Shackleton expedition to the Antarctic in the early 1900s and written by Alfred Lansing. Just an amazing true story. They set out to be the first to cross the south pole by land, which meant dog sled travel. When their ship got close to the Antarctic it got trapped in sea ice, got crushed and destroyed. Instead of a journey lasting months, it took them three years to finally return to civilization. This in one of the most uninhabitable places on the planet. And they all made it back.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Seconded, excellent book.
"Adventure" is my favorite genre, I think I've read most of the good ones but if you have additional recommendations for similar books please list them :)

Eric H

Reaction score
I read Endurance years ago. Amazing story!
I am currently reading "Marine. The life of Chesty Puller". the guy is 2000% bad ass

mac

Reaction score
Eric, as a former marine I am quite familiar with him. He was terribly outspoken and should have been awarded the Medal of Honor. Instead he was given the second highest, the Navy Cross. Only a small number of people ever got two of them. He earned five. A story I heard about him was when he was in command at Korea and completely surrounded by Chinese troops, he called his officers for a meeting, in which he said, “We have the enemy right where we want them. Fire in any direction and you’ll hit one. “ just gotta love that attitude. Also just learned the History channel is having a show this Sat about the Shakelton story.