What's new

A different way of looking at trash expense

OurTown

Reaction score
Since trash is really only needed for vac users then why not look at the cost compared to vac income? It would just be something interesting to hear from others and yes I know there are a few here that removed their trash cans. Not considering any labor to empty the cans our trash expense is about 10% of vac income.

bert79

Reaction score
Interesting thought Ourtown. I’ve always thought that I am happy when there is a lot of trash because it means a lot of business. Our trash expense during the spring/summer is approximately 5% of vac income. The percentage increases in fall and winter as vac usage decreases and trash stays the same. The avg for the year is probably the same as you. Around 10% of vac income.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Good point, mine is currently running about 10% of vac income

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think of the added bonus:... improving one's physical fitness when lugging FULL trash barrels every day!!! A Stronger, more resilient bod is the result. Who doesn't love that?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Absolutely, at my SS I track the bays, vending, and vacs as separate revenue streams, and effectively treat them as separate businesses. One minor tweak though, vending wrappers cross the line a bit - hopefully they are going into the trash and not on the floor.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Makes sense. I use the "New posts" button, and it doesn't show what category a thread is in.