What's new

4 Bay SS in TX

Etowah

nickwallace85

Reaction score
I could use some help estimating annual gross sales for 4 bay SS from water & electric usage. Can anyone help or recommend someone who can?

Average Monthly Water 2018 (Jan to Aug) - 42,000 gal
Average Monthly Electric 2018 (Jan to Aug) - 1760kWH

nickwallace85

Reaction score
I think 75c for bay time and vacuum... not sure the time duration. Just looking for estimates right now. Also how to estimate traffic counts and how many cars from that.

Roz

Reaction score
The simple back of the envelope calculation would be

assume 3 gals H2O per minute, however actual number could be 2 depending on the tips used, number of LP functions, if you have dryers, but run with 3 for argument sake. 14,000 minutes at 25 cents per minute (based on your vague numbers) would yield average $3500/mo gross revenue. You can adjust the forecast by playing with the numbers. If 0.25/min you probably can raise prices....

Electricity is a harder number to use for forecasting, you are selling water so I would use that number for guesstimating

MEP001

Reaction score
Electricity is a harder number to use for forecasting
Yes it is, since lighting is normally a large portion of the electric bill. Without knowing how many lights, their wattage and how long they're on at night (or if they're on at all) can make a huge difference. I'd say you're likely very close with your water estimate, although that can also vary a lot since we don't know how much time is given for 75¢. Could be 1 1/2 minutes, could be 3 or 4.

MEP001

Reaction score
What is typical going rate per minute of use?
You really need to investigate more into this wash as well as the industry in general. There's plenty of information here for you to read instead of asking broad questions like this.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
And if you work for the IRS, we are intentionally misleading you!:p

Edit: But I'm not. Just so were clear.:p

Last edited:

nickwallace85

Reaction score
There's plenty of information here for you to read instead of asking broad questions like this.
I did some reading and searching before posting but couldn't easily find a good thread with the info I needed ... if you could point me to one that would be great!!! Thanks for your info and patience. :cool:

MEP001

Reaction score
There's not one single thread to read to learn this industry. And the "going rate" will vary immensely across the country, as well as between communities. You don't know what this wash is giving for start-up time - you need to find out as well as see what other nearby washes are charging to get an idea of the "going rate" in your area.

Reaction score
Seems like the going rate here in the Houston Metro area is around 40 seconds per quarter regardless of start price. There are a lot of washes around here that are only 25 or 50 cent starts but all seem to be about 40 seconds per 25 cents.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are a lot of washes around here that are only 25 or 50 cent starts but all seem to be about 40 seconds per 25 cents.
That's crazy, it was like that in San Antonio 15 years ago but now you can't find a wash there under 75¢ to start.

OurTown

Reaction score
There are a lot of washes around here that are only 25 or 50 cent starts but all seem to be about 40 seconds per 25 cents.
The cheapest one around here is $.75 to start (not sure the start time) but the place should be bulldozed. Most are $1.50-$3.00/4 min. $.25 to start is like going back to the old days.

Reaction score
I have no idea why they do it that way. I think it probably just attracts the customers you don't want anyway.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have no idea why they do it that way. I think it probably just attracts the customers you don't want anyway.
It absolutely does. For me, raising prices has always caused the cheapest and messiest customers to stop coming.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I found that if you have too low of start up in relation to the time ... you will find that some wild people going into a knee-jerk frenzy towards you ... because while they clumsily & slowly put in the add'l money the countdown has already started & boy are they mad. With a higher start up ... the count down is also delayed which is helpful.

The main reason I have a lower $1 start up is because we find most of our regulars drive forward freeing up a bay when their time runs out. Once in the front bay ... use of a $5 bill is very likely. Our place is very attended which makes this more likely to happen than an unattended place. This mainly applies during the very short daylight hours of a warm spell during the winter, late fall, &/or early spring ... when every car wash in town tends to have lines. Although ... the last 10 years or so it seems like every gas station in town has a $3.99 auto car wash or less with 5 gallons of gas etc. ... not to begrudge them but it can be a bit unnerving! Maybe not enough healthy tension on the bays! The dog wash has a $5 minimum & even then some complain about the start up being more than they are willing to spend.

MEP001

Reaction score
I found that if you have too low of start up in relation to the time ... you will find that some wild people going into a knee-jerk frenzy towards you ... because while they clumsily & slowly put in the add'l money the countdown has already started & boy are they mad. With a higher start up ... the count down is also delayed which is helpful.
I've never once experienced any of that, especially customers "clumsily & slowly" depositing coins. Maybe that only happens with the big, awkward dollar coins. BTW, Dixmor timers have a delayed start by default.