What's new

310 manifold washout

MudMoney

Reaction score
Recommendation on rebore and sleeve companys.Saw ad in SSCWN for vilcosupply, no reviews posted on site.Feed back on companies members are using for repair.

Undertaker II

Reaction score
I went down this road a while back and opted to just buy new replacement heads. By the time you send them out, pay shipping both ways, get them sleeved and and then put in new seals and possibly valves the cost gets up there. Kevin

MEP001

Reaction score
Unfortunately Vilco no longer resleeves them. They had a good process, they machined out both the high pressure seal area and the valve o-ring seat area and pressed in permanent stainless steel sleeves that should never wash out again. It's worth the cost because it's about $100 less than a new head which will have no warranty and will eventually wash out again.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I went down this road a while back and opted to just buy new replacement heads. By the time you send them out, pay shipping both ways, get them sleeved and and then put in new seals and possibly valves the cost gets up there. Kevin
Are new replacement stainless steel sleeved already done by a shop? They may allow some off the cost after receiving the old head so they do not run out of old heads to rebuild??? Don't some of the brand new Cat 310 pumps come with the more durable specification?

MEP001

Reaction score
Jon Robbins
Associated Energy Technology
5701 92nd Terrace
Overland Park, KS. 66207
913-281-1903
Do they do a similar repair with a permanent sleeve in all ports? I remember there was someone who did a repair that added a sleeve but it needed an o-ring to seal and would eventually wash out again under the repair.

Randy

Reaction score
Vilco still has their web site still up. https://vilcosupply.com and they are still in business. The “Vilbore system uses a “O” Ring under a stainless steel insert. I acquired a Cat 310 head a few years ago that they had done by Vilco and I couldn’t get it to stop leaking. There’s another company that does the resleeving “Innovative Design & Sourcing, LLC” http://idspumprepair.com I’ve never had a head done by them so I don’t know anything about them. I’ve got a bunch of washed out 310 heads that I’ve acquired I should send one to them and see how they do. I've got a number of Cat 310 crankcases if anyone should need one.

Last edited:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Do they do a similar repair with a permanent sleeve in all ports? I remember there was someone who did a repair that added a sleeve but it needed an o-ring to seal and would eventually wash out again under the repair.
I think so. I've only had him do Arimitsus for me, which he installed a permanent sleeve.

slash007

Reaction score
I beleive Kleen-rite uses IDS, they are located in Lancaster, PA. How's that head working out for you?
Honestly not sure. I've had 4 done total. 3 by vilco and 1 by KR. Currently 1 just started eating o-rings again, but not sure which company sleeved it.

Randy

Reaction score
I e-mailed IDS in Lancaster, PA. and they charge $150 to bore and sleeve all 9 ports with pressed in stainless steel inserts. It typically takes about a week. About the same price as Vilco supply

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I recently had IDS resleeve our 5CP head and it hasn't shown any signs of problems yet, I've been wanting to replace my 5CP's with Arimitsu 516

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Jon Robbins
Associated Energy Technology
5701 92nd Terrace
Overland Park, KS. 66207
913-281-1903
I used Jon last year on a cat 5CP head. When I got it back I put the head on my busiest bay to see if it can take the abuse and so far so good. I would recommend him.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Lots to learn about the different ways to rework heads here: (Along with photos)...I have 2 heads in service that I used the SS inserts method (Not Pressed in) with orings and have never had issues with either head. The critical part is to get the chamfer just right on the SS sleeve washer for the right compression against the head for it to work right. From the dates on the photos documenting the process, I've had the heads in service for over 3 years now.

(33) Washed out 310 manifolds - With pictures | Page 7 | Car Wash Forum

(33) The "Tools I love" thread | Page 2 | Car Wash Forum

Last edited:

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Ive had mixed results - Ive had several resleeved over the last 25 years that worked fine for a long time, one about 20 years ago that had continual problems until I ripped it out and tossed it.
I also had one done by KR 3 or 4 years ago that didnt work out, maybe? It sat on a shelf as a spare for a long time, I installed it a couple weeks ago. The SS inserts on this one were not pressed in, and in fact they fit loosely enough that they fall out. I could see cut lines on where they bored it out, which didnt inspire confidence... and the o-rings with them did not sit quite right, and would not stay in place when I screwed in the brass seal thingy. Idk if they were the wrong size or if it was me, but I ended up installing without the o-ring, I put in a lot more gasket sealer than normal. At the moment its running OK but I'm not trusting it. Given the cost to resleeve plus seal kits, when they work its a good deal but since this is the second one I expect to have a problem with so I probably wont do it again.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
The Oring is to keep the pressure from getting around the SS insert and to keep from washing out the brass. On the Vilco Style repair, the SS insert is loose fitting in the bore. The Oring goes in first against the brass then the SS sleeve with the seal already pressed into it goes next. The oring seats against the brass case and the Chamfer (Corner Break) on the SS sleeve seals against the oring. I doubt the head will last long without the Oring...

MEP001

Reaction score
Unfortunately Vilco no longer resleeves them. They had a good process, they machined out both the high pressure seal area and the valve o-ring seat area and pressed in permanent stainless steel sleeves that should never wash out again. It's worth the cost because it's about $100 less than a new head which will have no warranty and will eventually wash out again.
I finally remembered that it was Dynajet who had the good resleeve process but stopped doing them. The owner passed away, his son tried to keep it going but evidently wasn't able to.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
2Biz, thanks, appreciate the info. And the pics are an extra mile too :)
I did know all that, & agree with your conclusion that it wont last.
The sleeve was REALLY loose, I could actually wiggle it around with my finger when I set it in place (with the seal in it, oring in place.) And the blasted o-ring kept squeezing out when I screwed in the seal case. Yes I used the torque wrench, yes I had gasket sealer to hold it in place...
Maybe it was just me, I know that. But I think maybe the new guy bored this one out or something, idk.

washnvac

Reaction score
I have had a bunch done at Kleen-Rite all with great success. I sent one to Vilco way back since they were a bit cheaper and it would not stop pulsation after re-install. So I have stuck with KR. Just under $200 last time I sent one in. I think I am pretty much all re-sleeved now.

I have only had to re-do one unit that had been on about 8 years. The re-do was no issue either.