What's new

25+???

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Hello. Looking to interview people who have been in the self serve car wash industry (owning and managing) for 25 years or more.

kentadel

Reaction score
30 years this month. Some days it seems like maybe five or ten, other days it seems like a lifetime.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
My Father built his first wash in 1956. I was raised in in the business.
Together we opened our first tunnel in 1976 and our first self service in 1978.
In 2014 my son and I bought his first tunnel and self serv.
It all seems like yesterday.

Randy

Reaction score
Miss Debra, after 38 years of being married to the car wash what would you like to talk about?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Debra,

I was the mudman helper for the bricklayers for our self service way back in the summer of 1968 so I was involved even with the initial foundation & with the prestressed concrete roof crane work. From then on I was pretty much in the loop for certain tasks & future improvements. One of the tasks was manually cleaning the pits with an all metal long handle shovel into a large wheelbarrow & dumped & dried on the property. Every few years we would find someone who would need fill dirt ... so hauling away tended to be for free. That was back in the day. The coin mechs were quarter only plastic Airpax ... most newer coin mechs are light years ahead of those in terms of reliability etc.

51+ years Multiply that by the rest of the car washes & laundromats & you have some serious private sector service industry infrastructure across the USA that should not be taken too lightly.

Randy ... I have also been accused of being married to my business. Sometimes that is preferable to being called "A LIFER"!

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
33 here counting my folk's first place. Speaking of 'lifers,' I every now and then wonder where they're going to find me when I'm finally done. I hope its not with a shovel in the pit.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm just now past halfway into my second 25 year interval.

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
My Father built his first wash in 1956. I was raised in in the business.
Together we opened our first tunnel in 1976 and our first self service in 1978.
In 2014 my son and I bought his first tunnel and self serv.
It all seems like yesterday.
Sent you a private message :)

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
I'm just now past halfway into my second 25 year interval.
I want to send you a private message-- but I think I have PM'ed you via this forum and have not gotten a response....I will try again, though :unsure:🕵️‍♀️

Robert2181

Reaction score
Going on 32 years. Self serv bays, 80 foot tunnel, Quick lube/tire center, Laundromat and propane filling station.