What's new

2/1 Friction or Touch-free?

APW

Reaction score
Looking at buying another site that is a 2/1 and in need of a complete overhaul. Would you put a touch-free or friction in? It would be a Razor or a Profile.

washnshine

Reaction score
I’d consider many things like what your competition is- try to differentiate from them if you can.

The types of vehicles you will be washing- lots of large or irregular shapes or more standard shapes and sizes.

Types of soil and climate- caked on mud from rural roads, lots of bugs in the summer. Oily film in the humid months. They all factor in to the choice.

What is in the bay now?

How did the current IBA do in that location?

Both machines are top notch - can’t go wrong with either- just choose based on what will please more customers in your situation.

APW

Reaction score
The closest wash is in another town 14 miles away which has a 4/1 with a PDQ friction machine. This is a small country town with lots of pickups and suvs. Lot of dirt roads also. There is a laser 4000 in there now but I don't think this wash has operated in over 5 years. Not sure how it did before that though.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Tough call - friction will likely clean better if avg vehicle is really dirty but also might wear out more quickly if washing dirtier cars. Sounds like a good opportunity with little competition either way you go. Both machines are top notch.

washnshine

Reaction score
The closest wash is in another town 14 miles away which has a 4/1 with a PDQ friction machine. This is a small country town with lots of pickups and suvs. Lot of dirt roads also. There is a laser 4000 in there now but I don't think this wash has operated in over 5 years. Not sure how it did before that though.
So you will be the only game in town - good! If you spent a week driving around the town on the roads etc., how would you choose to wash your vehicle if you had a choice between the two? That would be how I would think about it.

You can still put some Hp rocker/wheel blasters at the entrance of a friction unit to take care of the heavy stuff.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easy choice; Washworld Razor. The customers that come back will appreciate a new touch free wash. The new customers will like that you are different from your closest competitor.

mac

Reaction score
Why not consider a machine that does both? I have an Istobal that does friction or touchless.

mac

Reaction score
It is a Flex 5 three brush hybrid extended height. And it’s awesome.

APW

Reaction score
Is there a big reason you don't want to just make the Laser work and save 150k?
To be honest I need to spend the money and it will be less headache with a Razor or Profile allowing me to be elsewhere making money while my machine makes money for me.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Having owned a touch-free machine for over 15 years, I can appreciate the rationale behind purchasing new. I'm sure there are machines in operation that are decades old and still working, but continuing on with an aging piece of equipment is the wrong choice for many. While the investment in a new machine is large, it totally revitalizes your car wash business! Customers love 'new and improved'. Some will gripe and say the old was better, but that's unavoidable ( #Curmudgeons). With a new machine you can raise the price and improve wash quality while increasing throughput. You decrease downtime which increases revenue. You get all the benefits of new technology.

While it may not be feasible for some to reinvest in new equipment at the proper time interval, not doing so is a big mistake, IMO.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Having owned a touch-free machine for over 15 years, I can appreciate the rationale behind purchasing new. I'm sure there are machines in operation that are decades old and still working, but continuing on with an aging piece of equipment is the wrong choice for many. While the investment in a new machine is large, it totally revitalizes your car wash business! Customers love 'new and improved'. Some will gripe and say the old was better, but that's unavoidable ( #Curmudgeons). With a new machine you can raise the price and improve wash quality while increasing throughput. You decrease downtime which increases revenue. You get all the benefits of new technology.

While it may not be feasible for some to reinvest in new equipment at the proper time interval, not doing so is a big mistake, IMO.
Curious if you have replaced your machine? Its situation dependent on if it makes sense to replace equipment. APW's point about needing to spend the money certainly makes sense from a tax standpoint. However, in a place where there is no relevant competition, and a 'free' piece of equipment that is already installed which could be revitalized for pennies on the dollar, I'm not sure new always makes sense. Laser 4000's can run pretty reliably and cost almost nothing in actual equipment repairs year after year when maintained properly. Price is a factor of supply and demand, not necessarily the newness of a machine. There is demand 'for a car wash' and there is demand 'for a nice car wash'. I firmly believe you can capture both with new equipment or old if you put in the effort to make each appear and act new and cared for. I've seen new equipment go in ugly old washbays with old cashiers and crappy floors and dingy lighting. No new business shows shows up... I've also seen used equipment go in a refurbished old car wash and do incredibly well.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I'm replacing a Superior Side Trac with a new Washworld Razor. I'm renovating the bay with new wall panels and lighting and doors.

I tinkered on and reengineered my machne for years and it will be running well when I remove it in a couple weeks, getting $15 for the top wash. But it's not a machine I can leave operational 24/7 in cold weather.

My competitors are borh friction rollivers and they have reloaded their equipment in the last few years. They are priced $17-20 for their top packages. So, yes, I agree that it is my situation that helped influence my decision to buy a new machine. It's about the numbers, always: 15 year old equipment + $20 price point+low interest rates= new Razor.

washnshine

Reaction score
Curious if you have replaced your machine? Its situation dependent on if it makes sense to replace equipment. APW's point about needing to spend the money certainly makes sense from a tax standpoint. However, in a place where there is no relevant competition, and a 'free' piece of equipment that is already installed which could be revitalized for pennies on the dollar, I'm not sure new always makes sense. Laser 4000's can run pretty reliably and cost almost nothing in actual equipment repairs year after year when maintained properly. Price is a factor of supply and demand, not necessarily the newness of a machine. There is demand 'for a car wash' and there is demand 'for a nice car wash'. I firmly believe you can capture both with new equipment or old if you put in the effort to make each appear and act new and cared for. I've seen new equipment go in ugly old washbays with old cashiers and crappy floors and dingy lighting. No new business shows shows up... I've also seen used equipment go in a refurbished old car wash and do incredibly well.
Also - if APW’s closest competition is 14 miles away, I’m not sure how much actual competition they are creating for him. I get it - I know that is where someone has to go to get a wash now, so they can take customers away ,but is it located in a location where there would be commuter traffic passing it or would someone have to make a 28 mile round trip for a car wash? If that’s the case, then that might not be too tough to compete with.

Reactions: APW