What's new

Upgrading an RO system

Rudy

Reaction score
This thread has got me thinking. I wonder if I've been running my unit at less than an "efficient" mode.

I had a 1 membrane Applied Membranes unit that was expanded to 2 membranes decades ago (when I added an additional automatic bay). The motor/pump was also up-sized.

I've been running the Product and Reject flows equally.

If I understand things....this is a 50% recovery rate....Correct?

Per my earlier post, I'm now running XLE (Extra Low Engery) membranes at 100psi.

Today, I readjusted the flow settings to achieve a 4.0 gpm Product and a 1.5 gpm Reject flowrate. The recirculation flow is 2.5 gpm.

Am I doing the math correctly and I now have a 73% recovery rate? (4.0 divided by 5.5)

And.....this rate is OK?

It sure saves dumping water down the drain if true............

OurTown

Reaction score
This thread has got me thinking. I wonder if I've been running my unit at less than an "efficient" mode.

I had a 1 membrane Applied Membranes unit that was expanded to 2 membranes decades ago (when I added an additional automatic bay). The motor/pump was also up-sized.

Per my earlier post, I'm now running XLE (Extra Low Engery) membranes at 100psi.

Today, I readjusted the flow settings to achieve a 4.0 gpm Product and a 1.5 gpm Reject flowrate. The recirculation flow is 2.5 gpm.

Am I doing the math correctly and I now have a 73% recovery rate? (4.0 divided by 5.5)

And.....this rate is OK?

I was told by several others year ago that I should run close to a 1:1 but favoring just a tad bit more on the reject water. With the reject all the way cranked down I can just barely get a little more product water than reject. Maybe it's designed that way?

HeyVern

Reaction score

And.....this rate is OK?

When mine was installed they told me it is best to keep the product and reject equal. You can turn the reject down but that will shorten the life of the membranes.

OurTown

Reaction score
I turned it back on today and the best I can get now is 3.3 GPM product and 3.4 reject. The pressure regulator appears to be seized inside. I can crank the screw all the way in or out and doesn't seem to change the pressure. Right now it's about 180 psi. The tag on the pump says 250 psi max and 16 GPM. The regulator is a US Para Plate 13064 but can't find one on the innerwebs. The closest I found is one at KR but has a high pressure range.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-17...d-back-pressure-regulator-1000-psi-8-gpm.aspx

OurTown

Reaction score
Also I forgot to mention that it's putting out 1 PPM TDS now. 264 PPM input and 530 PPM reject.

Rudy

Reaction score
I still a little confused.

Is it best to run a 1:1 product:reject rate (50% recovery), or is it OK to turn up the recirculation and have a 75% (or higher) recovery rate?

HeyVern

Reaction score
I still a little confused.

Is it best to run a 1:1 product:reject rate (50% recovery), or is it OK to turn up the recirculation and have a 75% (or higher) recovery rate?
Ideal is 1:1 you can turn up the recirculation but it will shorten the life of your membranes